Sunday, May 18, 2008

Examining Social Software in Teacher

This article reminded me about the dangers of using social networking sites. On the other hand there are many positive things that come from using these sites. From personal experience I have found that myspace is no where near as protected as facebook in regards to people seeing your profiles and attempting to be your friend. One of the dangers that I was reminded about is that my students parents could look me up and see my picture and who my friends are. Therefore they might place judgements about myself that could affect my students interactions with me. I feel there are more postive things that come with using social networking than negative.

3 comments:

The Mendes said...

You bring up a good point about having to be careful with social networking. I feel that too often, people do not consider some of the possible dangers. After saying that, I do agree that the positives to outweigh the negatives.

Ben Regan said...

Thank you for the comment Alex.

Danine Marie said...

I had completely forgotten that these social networking sites work both ways. Most of the time I see them as a way of "looking up" students or the athletes I work with, even other coworkers. However, as you point out, athletes and students of mine might also "log on" to check out my friends and activities. Could very well end up being one of those, "guilty by association" type of things. Good point.